Friday, January 05, 2007

Froot Loops


Today I ate a bowl of Froot Loops for breakfast. Lately I’ve found myself drawn back to the cereals of my youth: Apple Jacks, Cocoa Puffs, Trix, Cap’n Crunch, and Froot Loops. I suppose it’s the nostalgia of the holidays. That and the fact that a person can only be expected to eat so much shredded wheat before the gag reflex is summoned. Anyway, as I chomped happily on my loops of froot, I was struck suddenly by the fact that there were six distinct colors in the bowl.

“Six froots?” I thought to myself. “Why, I recall when Froot Loops were a nearly monochromatic blend of red, orange, and yellow!”

I do recall the first time a new color was added. I believe it was green. I remember sitting a matter of inches away from the boob toob (sorry, my spelling’s all outta whack because of the whole “froot” thing) watching Toucan Sam on a quest to find exciting new flavors for his cereal. It was exciting news back then.

(Remember watching cereal commercials like they were news? It was tough work keeping up with Toucan Sam, Sonny the Cuckoo Bird, the Trix Rabbit, et. al. I watched those commercials back then like I watch the news today.)

Anyway. All this to say that I feel old. I feel old because I got mad that there were six different colors of Froot Loops instead of the original three. I feel old because I remember exactly what those three original colors were. I know there’s a lot out there who will laugh at me for being 24 and writing a blog about aging, but gosh darn it, I feel old. And I think I deserve a 29¢ cup of coffee at my local diner for all the years I’ve endured under the hot, damaging rays of the sun.

4 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Hey - yr not alone! i am 25 and jsut today i bought froot loops and was SHOCKED to see 6 colors. AND...AND...AND.. mine had marshmallows.... WHAT!?!?!?!? i guess tucan sam has to keep up with all the kids with attention deficit...so 3 colors won't quite do it...6 colors + marshmallows might do the trick though.... :P
    Anonymous said...
    You guys are doing better than me. I must be really old. I had the same disapointment at the "Golden Bars" in my Froot Loops and the (at least only) five colors,no yellow. I am 30 and I couldn't remember the original colors. I found this page looking for what those colors were. Thanks for helping me out!
    Rhys Martin (OK Rt 66 Assoc) said...
    I found this blog posting randomly after opening up a box of Froot Loops and thinking, "Purple Froot Loops are bastards. They're these johnny-come-latelys that THINK they're Froot Loops." I decided to try to find what the most recent additions were and your blog showed up on the Google. Thanks for the post.
    Unknown said...
    I did the same thing than you Rhysinator... But I remember when they added the blue (I was so excited!), but don't remember the green or purple. So I was overly shocked today since here in Québec, they added the Green and Purple, but the Blue has disappeared! We have five colors as of today: Yellow, Orange, Pink, Green and Purple...
    Thanks for this post!

Post a Comment